can someone stay with me if i claim housing benefit

Can Someone Stay with Me If I Claim Housing Benefit

If you receive housing benefit, you might have questions about how it works when you want to have someone else live with you. It’s a situation that requires careful consideration as it can affect your entitlement to benefits.

Housing benefit is designed to help those on a low income with their rent, and there are rules about sharing your home that could impact your claim.

In this article, you will learn:

  • Why understanding the rules about housing benefit and additional occupants is crucial.
  • The key factors determining how someone living with you can affect your housing benefit.
  • The specific circumstances must be reported to avoid any issues with your claim.
  • How this knowledge can help you make informed decisions about your living arrangements.
  • Steps you can take if your housing benefit is affected by someone moving in with you.

Can Someone Stay with Me If I Claim Housing Benefit

When you claim housing benefit, there are certain conditions that must be met. If you’re considering having someone stay with you, it’s important to understand how this might impact your claim.

The key factor is whether the person staying with you is expected to contribute to the rent or if they’re just a guest.

If the person staying with you is paying rent, they may be considered a subtenant, which can reduce the amount of housing benefit you receive.

The local council will need to know about any rent you receive from them as this is counted as income. If they’re a non-paying guest, it’s less likely to affect your claim, but rules still need to be followed.

For those on benefits like universal credit or pension credit, the rules about additional people living in your home can also affect your entitlement. Notifying the local council or benefits office if someone moves in with you is essential, as it could change your housing benefit payment.

It’s also crucial to be aware of the benefit cap, which limits the total benefit that working-age people can receive. An additional person in your household could influence whether the cap applies to you and how much you can receive.

Housing Benefit Rules on Additional Occupants

The rules surrounding additional occupants are specific and detailed. If the person staying with you is a close relative, such as a child or parent, different rules may apply compared to a friend or non-relative.

Child benefit, for instance, might be affected if you have another adult living in your home who is not the child’s parent.

Child tax credit and other tax credits are based on household income and circumstances, so adding another person to your household could change the amount you’re eligible for. It’s important to update your information with the tax credit office if there’s a change in your living situation.

For those receiving disability living allowance or personal independence payment, having another person in the house does not usually affect these benefits. However, if the person staying with you provides overnight care, you may be eligible for additional support, like a carer’s allowance.

Lastly, if you are of pension age, the rules can differ from those of working age. Pension credit might be impacted by another adult moving into your home, and the local housing allowance rate could also change. Always check with your local council or citizen’s advice to get the most accurate information.

Impact on Benefits with Additional Household Members

Introducing a new member to your household can significantly impact your benefits. This includes housing costs that are part of your universal credit payment. When someone moves in with you, their income and capital will be considered, which could reduce your housing element.

Council tax reduction is another area that can be affected. If you’re currently receiving a single person’s discount on your council tax, you may no longer be eligible for that discount if another adult is living with you.

However, some adults, like full-time students or those on income support, are not counted for council tax purposes.

If you’re receiving employment or income support allowance, you must report any changes in who lives with you to avoid penalties. Non-dependant deductions may apply if the person moving in is working, which could decrease the housing benefit you receive.

You must check your tenancy agreement for those in social housing or renting from a housing association. Some agreements have clauses about taking in lodgers or subletting, and you’ll need to get permission from your housing association or private landlord before someone moves in.

Reporting Changes to Your Living Arrangements

You are responsible for reporting any changes in your living arrangements to the local council or the department handling your benefits claim. This includes new people moving into your home, changes in income, or a new claim for another benefit like child maintenance or working tax credit.

When reporting changes, you may need to provide evidence such as bank statements, a tenancy agreement if the new occupant is paying rent or details of any additional income. The local housing allowance rate and your housing benefit payment may be reassessed based on this new information.

If you’re unsure how to report these changes, citizens’ advice can offer guidance. They can help you understand your obligations and the implications for benefits like council tax support, universal credit, and other related housing costs.

Failure to promptly report changes can result in an overpayment, which you must pay back. In some cases, it could even lead to a fraud investigation. Always inform your local council to ensure you receive the correct benefit entitlement.

By being aware of the rules and reporting changes in your circumstances, you can manage your benefits effectively and avoid any unexpected financial issues. If you’re in temporary accommodation or considering a new claim, always seek advice to understand how your housing benefit could be affected.

Pros and Cons of Allowing Someone to Stay While on Housing Benefit

When claiming housing benefit, deciding to have someone live with you can have benefits and drawbacks. It is essential to weigh these carefully, as they can have significant implications for your benefit claim and personal circumstances.

Advantages of Allowing Someone to Stay While on Housing Benefit

Having someone stay with you while claiming housing benefit can offer several advantages. We will explore 10 benefits that can arise from such a living arrangement.

1) Financial Support

  • Sharing living expenses can help reduce the financial burden on an individual claiming housing benefit. Having another person contribute to bills and rent can decrease the overall cost of maintaining the home.
  • This can be particularly beneficial if the individual’s gross income is low and they struggle to cover all household costs independently.

2) Social and Emotional Support

  • Having someone live with you can provide social interaction and emotional support, which is especially valuable for those who may otherwise feel isolated.
  • This can lead to an improved quality of life and better mental health, which are important aspects of overall well-being.

3) Assistance with Daily Living

  • If the person staying with you can assist with daily tasks, this can be particularly helpful if you have a disability or are of state pension age.
  • Support with everyday activities can also contribute to a greater level of independence and can delay the need for professional care services.

4) Additional Income

  • If the new occupant is a subtenant, their rent payments can be considered additional income, which might be used for other essential expenses or to improve living conditions.
  • However, it’s important to declare this income as part of your housing benefit claim to ensure all information is current.

5) Potential for Extra Housing Benefit

  • In certain circumstances, such as if the new occupant is providing care, you may be eligible for additional allowances like the care component of Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance.
  • This can increase the overall support you receive and help cover any extra costs associated with their stay.

6) Sharing Household Responsibilities

  • Splitting household chores can reduce the workload on one person and ensure that the home is maintained more effectively.
  • This shared responsibility can also foster a sense of teamwork and cooperation in the household.

7) Increased Security

  • Having another person on the property can provide increased security, as someone else can help in emergencies or unexpected situations.
  • This can be particularly reassuring for those who may feel vulnerable living alone.

8) Flexibility in Living Arrangements

  • If the arrangement is temporary, it can offer flexibility for both parties without the commitment of a long-term tenancy agreement.
  • This can be advantageous for those who need short-term accommodation, such as individuals in the Armed Forces returning from service.

9) Non-Dependant Deductions

  • While non-dependant deductions can reduce the amount of housing benefit received, they also reflect the expectation that other adults in the household should contribute to living costs, which can help balance household finances.
  • It is important to report non-dependants’ circumstances to ensure the correct housing benefit entitlement.

10) Possibility of Discretionary Housing Payments

  • In cases where the housing benefit does not cover all of the rent, you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment from the local council to help make up the shortfall.
  • This is particularly useful for temporary financial hardship or unexpected housing costs.
Possibility of Discretionary Housing Payments

Disadvantages of Allowing Someone to Stay While on Housing Benefit

While there are advantages to having someone stay with you, there are also potential drawbacks that need to be considered. Here are 10 disadvantages that could impact your situation.

1) Reduced Benefit Entitlement

  • Your housing benefit claim may be reduced if the person staying with you is deemed a non-dependant, as their income will be considered.
  • This could lead to financial strain if the reduction in housing benefit is significant and not offset by the additional occupant’s contributions.

2) Complexity of Benefit Claims

  • Adding another person to your household can complicate your benefit claim, requiring additional paperwork and potentially leading to delays in processing.
  • Reporting changes and adjusting your claim can be time-consuming and may require assistance from Citizens Advice or other support services.

3) Risk of Overpayment

  • If changes in your living arrangements are not reported promptly, you may receive more housing benefit than you’re entitled to, leading to overpayments that must be repaid.
  • This repayment can cause financial hardship, especially if the overpayment is discovered much later and has accumulated.

4) Impact on Council Tax Reduction

  • Your entitlement to council tax reduction may be affected if another adult moves in, potentially resulting in a higher council tax bill.
  • This can be a significant consideration, notably if you previously received a single person’s discount.

5) Loss of Privacy

  • Sharing your home means less personal space and privacy, which can considerably disadvantage some individuals.
  • It’s important to consider whether the reduced privacy is an acceptable trade-off for the potential financial and social benefits.

6) Potential for Conflict

  • Introducing a new household member can lead to disagreements or conflicts, mainly if there are differences in lifestyle or expectations.
  • Establishing clear rules and boundaries from the outset is vital to minimise the risk of disputes.

7) Strain on Personal Relationships

  • If the person staying with you is a friend or family member, the pressure of living together can sometimes strain the relationship.
  • Communicating openly and addressing issues early is essential to preserve the relationship.

8) Housing Benefit Claim Restrictions

  • Some types of accommodation, such as those provided by a housing association, may restrict subletting or taking in lodgers as part of the tenancy agreement.
  • Violating these restrictions can lead to tenancy issues or eviction, so obtaining permission is crucial.

9) Eligibility for Other Benefits

  • The presence of another adult in your household can affect your eligibility for other benefits, such as pension credit or income-based jobseeker’s allowance.
  • Considering the broader impact on your overall benefit entitlement is necessary before deciding.

10) Impact on Immigration Status

  • If the person staying with you has an immigration status restricting access to public funds, this could affect your housing benefit claim.
  • It’s important to understand how their status might influence your claim and seek advice if there is any uncertainty.

Shared Accommodation and Housing Benefit Claims

Shared accommodation can be an option for those receiving housing benefit, especially when reducing living costs.

However, the local housing allowance (LHA) rate, which dictates the maximum housing benefit for private tenants, is typically lower for those in shared housing than those in self-contained properties.

This means that while shared accommodation might lower rent, it can also reduce the housing benefit you’re entitled to receive.

Living in shared accommodation can make the rules around non-dependant deductions complex. These deductions are taken from your housing benefit for non-dependants living with you, which can affect the total benefit you receive.

It’s essential to report the accurate details of your living situation to your local council to ensure your housing benefit is calculated correctly.

In shared housing situations, joint tenants each have their rights and responsibilities. All tenants must understand their obligations, including how the rent is divided and paid. This clarity can help prevent misunderstandings and issues with housing benefit claims.

Civil Partnerships and Benefit Entitlements

Entering a civil partnership can affect your housing benefit and other related benefits. For instance, the income and capital of both partners are considered when assessing entitlement for Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance.

This could lead to changes in the benefit received if one partner earns or has savings.

For those in a civil partnership, informing the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about your joint living arrangement is also necessary. Failure to do so may result in an overpayment of benefits, which must be repaid.

It is always better to report changes proactively to avoid any financial complications down the line.

It’s important to note that civil partnerships are treated the same way as marriages for benefit purposes.

This means that if one partner is claiming housing benefit, the other partner’s financial circumstances will be considered in the entitlements calculation. Couples should discuss their finances openly to ensure they receive the correct support.

Applying for Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) may be available from the local council for those facing a shortfall in their housing costs. DHPs can provide extra money for claimants who qualify for housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit but still struggle to pay their rent.

It is an additional support measure that can help individuals to stay in their accommodation when facing financial difficulty.

To apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment, you must already be receiving housing benefit or Universal Credit with housing costs. You must provide your national insurance number and income details, including any benefits, wages, or child maintenance you receive.

The application process typically involves filling out a form provided by your local council and may require evidence of your financial situation.

Receiving a Discretionary Housing Payment can be particularly beneficial in areas where the LHA rate does not cover the total rent amount.

DHPs are usually granted temporarily, and claimants may need to reapply periodically. Seeking guidance from Citizens Advice or similar organisations if you need assistance with your application is advisable.

Responsibilities of Non-Dependant Adults

When a non-dependant adult lives with someone claiming housing benefit, there are specific responsibilities and considerations to bear. A non-dependant deduction is made from the claimant’s housing benefit for each non-dependant in the household, which can reduce the amount of benefit paid.

The level of this deduction depends on the non-dependents’ income, including any wages, pension, or benefits like Jobseekers Allowance they might receive.

Reporting the presence of non-dependant adults to the local council is a key responsibility for housing benefit claimants.

It’s essential to keep the council informed of any changes, such as the non-dependants income fluctuating or them starting a new job. This ensures that the housing benefit claim remains accurate and up to date.

The concept of a non-dependant deduction reflects the expectation that other adults in the household can contribute towards housing costs.

It’s important for claimants to understand how these deductions work and to discuss financial contributions with the non-dependants in their homes. Open communication can help manage the financial impact of these deductions on the household’s overall budget.

Responsibilities of Non-Dependant Adults

A Case Study on Housing Benefit Claims with Additional Occupants

Here is a case study designed to illustrate the real-life application of the topic “Can someone stay with me if i claim housing benefit.”

This example should help people understand how the presence of an additional person can affect a housing benefit claim in the UK, and many will be able to relate to this common scenario.

Jane is a single mother living in Birmingham, receiving housing benefit to help with her rent and Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance while she looks for work. Her adult son, Michael, has just finished university and has moved back home while he searches for a job.

Jane knows that Michael’s return could impact her housing benefit due to the non-dependant deduction taken from her benefit since he is now considered a non-dependant adult.

Michael finds part-time work, affecting the non-dependant deduction for Jane’s housing benefit. Jane promptly reports Michael’s income to her local council, providing his national insurance number and details of his earnings, which are paid into her bank account.

She also inquires about the possibility of a Discretionary Housing Payment as the non-dependant deduction means she struggles to cover the total rent.

Moreover, Jane is conscious of managing her household bills effectively. She reviews her service charges and other expenses to stay within her budget. Michael contributes to the household expenses, easing the financial pressure on Jane.

By staying informed and proactive, Jane manages to navigate the complexities of her housing benefit claim while accommodating her son’s return to the family home.

Summary Of The Key Points

We will now summarise the article by highlighting the key aspects regarding whether whether someone can stay with me if I claim housing benefit. This summary aims to underscore the main points and recommended actions to consider when navigating this situation.

  • When claiming housing benefit, having another person stay with you can affect your claim, depending on their financial contribution and relationship to you.
  • The local council must be informed about any changes in your living arrangements to ensure your housing benefit is calculated correctly.
  • Additional occupants can lead to non-dependant deductions from your housing benefit based on their income.
  • Civil partnerships and marriages are treated similarly for benefit purposes, meaning a partner’s income will affect your housing benefit entitlement.
  • Discretionary Housing Payments may be available if you’re struggling to cover your housing costs despite receiving housing benefit or Universal Credit.
  • Shared accommodation can impact the housing benefit you’re entitled to, often leading to a lower Local Housing Allowance rate.
  • Maintaining clear communication with any non-dependant adults in your household is crucial to manage the financial impact of deductions on your overall budget.
  • Always consult with informed sources such as Citizens Advice if you need assistance or clarification on your benefit claims.

In conclusion, the decision to have someone stay with you while you claim housing benefit should be made with a clear understanding of the potential financial implications.

It is essential to keep the local council updated with accurate information about your living situation, especially if there are changes in the income of other household members. Doing so can ensure that your benefit payments are correct and avoid any issues with overpayments or underpayments.

It is also advisable to be aware of available support, such as Discretionary Housing Payments, which can provide additional financial assistance in certain circumstances.

Understanding your rights and responsibilities, as well as those of any additional household members, is key to effectively managing your housing benefit claim. Always seek professional advice if you are unsure about any aspect of your claim or need help navigating the benefits system.


1) What Is a Non-Dependant Deduction?

A non-dependant deduction is an amount that is subtracted from your housing benefit when an adult, who is not your partner or a dependent child, lives with you.

This could be a grown-up child, a relative, or a friend. The deduction is made because it is assumed that this person should contribute to the household expenses, including rent.

The amount of the non-dependant deduction depends on the non-dependant’s income. If they are on a low income or receiving certain benefits, like Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance, the deduction might be smaller or not applied.

It’s essential to inform your local council about the non-dependants income to calculate your housing benefit correctly.

2) How Does Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance Affect My Housing Benefit?

Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) benefits those who are unemployed and actively looking for work. It can affect your housing benefit, as any income you receive, including Income-Based JSA, is considered when calculating your entitlement.

When you start receiving Income-Based JSA, you must inform your local council as it may change the amount of housing benefit you get.

The council will assess your total income, which includes the JSA, to determine your revised housing benefit amount. Reporting these changes promptly is crucial to avoid overpayment or underpayment of benefits.

3) Can Receiving Personal Independence Payment’s Daily Living Component Affect My Housing Benefit?

The Daily Living Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is intended to help with the extra costs of long-term ill health or disability. Receiving the Daily Living Component of PIP does not directly affect your housing benefit, as it is not counted as income for housing benefit calculations.

However, if you have a carer who stays with you and receives the Daily Living Component, you might be eligible for extra housing benefit.

This is because the presence of a carer could mean you are entitled to a larger living space according to benefit rules, which could increase your Local Housing Allowance rate. Always inform your local council of your PIP receipt and any changes in your circumstances.

Suppose you’re receiving Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and experience a change in your income from employment.

In that case, it’s crucial to report this to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) as soon as possible. Changes in your income can affect the amount of ESA you receive and your housing benefit entitlement.

When reporting income changes, you’ll need to provide evidence, such as pay slips or bank statements showing the credit from your employment. If you’re unsure how to report these changes or what evidence is needed, seek advice from your local Citizens Advice or contact the DWP directly.

Keeping your income information up-to-date helps ensure you receive the correct benefit payments and avoid any issues with overpayments.

Disclaimer: Please be aware that this site is no longer under active management. As a result, we cannot assure the accuracy or relevance of the content provided. Visitors should use their discretion and consider the potential for outdated or inaccurate information before relying on any material found here.

Disclaimer: Please be aware that this site is no longer under active management. As a result, we cannot assure the accuracy or relevance of the content provided. Visitors should use their discretion and consider the potential for outdated or inaccurate information before relying on any material found here.